Around the Terezínka Observation Point
The route is suitable for hiking. The trip will take you to places which offer amazing views of Tanvald. Apart from the beautiful views, the trip also includes a bit of history.
Terezínka Observation Point
The Terezínka observation point is situated on Mt. Muchov. On a 15 m high rock, Johann Mayer, owner of one of the Tanvald cotton mills, had a brick observation point modified and equipped with a railing in 1853. His wife Therezie took a liking to the view from this spot down - to a hollow formed by the confluence of the Kamenice and Desná brooks, therefore, the in love factory owner named the observation point at an altitude of 623 m above sea level "Terezina výšina". However, the name Terezínka is more often used. Locals call this place Šouf - after the German robber baron Schoff, who hid in his fort and set off on adventurous quests. According to another version, the name Šouf is derived from the German Schafstein, which means a Sheep stone.
Muchov Observation Point
The dominant feature of the Tanvaldsko-Hamerský ridge is the rocky top of Mt. Muchov (787 m above sea level). Over the jagged peak rock passes a stone ridgeway which was built before First World War by the Jablonec alpine association, and currently the renewed trail of the Ridgeway runs pass it. A metal telecommunication repeater tower has stood at the top of Mt. Muchov for several decades. From the top is a beautiful view of Smržovka, the Tanvald hollow, the valley of the lower Kamenice, Velké Hamry and Plavy. According to local legends the hideout of the Jizera Mountains ghost Muhu can be found on Muchov. In the saddle below Muchov in direction to Černá Studnice a pleasant mountain chalet of the Czechoslovak Tourist Club stood from 1924. In 1937 it burned down but attentive visitors can still recognize the remnants of the building’s foundation in the shade of the forest.
Svárov - memorial
The memorial in Velké Hamry is there to commemorate a strike by textile workers in Svárov which took place on March 31, 1870 and in which seven people died. The memorial consists of a statuary of two workers, a plaque and seven little memorials with names.
The iron and brick-making town of Velké Hamry is situated by the Kamenice River. The convenient location of the municipality by a source of water in the form of the Kamenice River helped the settlement to expand. Parts of Velké Hamry are the settlements of “Hamrska” (Velké Hamry II) and Bohdalovice. The former name of the Hamersko municipality and the names Dolení and Hoření Hamr came from iron mills that used to stand here probably in the 13th and 14th century. The name Velké Hamry has been used since 1914, when the settlements Hoření and Dolení Hamr were merged into one municipality; subsequently, it was promoted to a market town in 1926. The settlements of Bohdalovice and Svárov joined Velké Hamry in 1942 and it became a town in 1968. Among the preserved historical monuments in Velké Hamry are the Neo-Gothic Church of St. Wenceslaus, the little chapel of St. Wenceslaus from the 18th century, a textile manufactory and the Chapel of St. Anne from the 19th century at Hamrsky. Of the new tourist points of interest it is possible to visit the depository of the Museum of Socialist Cars, which presents vehicles of the Eastern Bloc from the1950s-1980s.